Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Looking for a Condo in Chicago??

Just kidding.

No, not really.

Hehehe

In 2002 Lori graduated from High School and the SgtMaj retired from the Marine Corps. Since she wanted to go to school in Chicago (my hometown), we decided to relocate here to be near family.

Our plan was to live in the "family building" (more on that at a later date) and not buy until we had jobs and had a better idea of where we wanted to live.

The SgtMaj always planned to get a nice government job at NTC Great Lakes and I a position with a university in the area. Since I had experience as both an academic advisor and as a college Registrar, this wasn't too much of a stretch.

I even had this wild fantasy that the kid would get free tuition at a great Catholic University since I worked there....do you hear me DePaul? huh? Loyola? You guys broke my heart.

This was the year after 9/11 and many middle managers that lost their jobs switched over to education...the university position never happened. So much for the Masters in Education with an Emphasis in Adult Learning. Are you listening DePaul, Loyola?

What does this have to do with our condo you might ask (if you have stuck with this post this long).

We finally purchased a condo on the lake near Loyola a few years ago,since it didn't look like the SgtMaj would ever get his government position and he worked in the Loop. I was working for a local hospital in a position that I was grossly overqualified for.

Where are the bloody violins?

So now.....we both have positions in the Great White North and commute a few hours a day.

Oh, the humanity.

And since the market is so bad right now we will probably be living here forever....

Bah!

So, this winter will be spent trying to get the place show ready. Joy. Did I mention it is in a vintage building and falling down around my ears? Hhmmmmmm?

I am now addicted to HGTV: Designed to Sell and Design on a Dime have become my new favorite shows.

So in the weeks to come I will be posting before and after pictures of this wonderful, vintage art deco building on the lake. Hopefully someone will fall in love with it and want it for their very own. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment