Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lake Geneva




Over the last few years my daughter and I have had our own little Christmas celebration the weekend prior to the family dinner held at my house (condo, whatever). Normally we do lunch, exchange our gifts to each other and bitch about loved ones.


Seriously folks, isn't that what we all do? Be honest here


This year we decided to do a little overnight trip to Lake Geneva in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin you ask? In winter?

Seems a little odd as Lake Geneva is the traditional summer playground for Chicagoans but it's close and quite a bit quieter than downtown. Quiet was important.



So I picked her up on my way home from work and we made our way to the great white north. (Only an hour BTW). Even though the forecast was snowy the drive was only damp and we made in it one piece.

Editorial Note: My camera decided to crap out yet again, and the picture above is from Flickr. Maybe Mama needs a new camera? Huh? One I can charge the battery instead of having to buy bloody stock in Duracell.



We stayed at the Grand Geneva Resort (very pretty, I will be back!) The lake was half frozen and very beautiful.

We went to dinner at Calvetti's on Main Street. Note to self in the future: Share. Good food, great margaritas.
We drove around looking at the lights before returning to the resort to exchange gifts and drink a lot of wine. Thanks Lor for all the gifts, my skin is no longer a thirsty mess! Great time, great resort. Again, we'll be back (did I say that already?)


Next morning we ordered room service and I "must say" (insert Ed Grimley voice here), that it was hands down the best room service breakfast I have ever had. Pricey, but very good.

We wandered downtown in the little shops.

The Global Gourmet is a personal favorite of both of us and picked up a few things along the way.

And honestly folks: a 75% markup from Chicago, the home of inflated prices? Do we look stupid to you? I don't mind spending money on a good hotel room and a tasty bottle (or two or three) of wine, but I'm not paying $18 for Cubs candy canes! Bah humbug to you.


All in all a nice quiet Christmas trip. Love You, Pooks.






No comments:

Post a Comment